Mobile advertising is worth talking about on its own because, like other mobile marketing, it has the advantage of being in the right place at the right time – your customers’ pocket. No matter where they are they can easily and naturally bring out their phone in ways you can’t with a laptop or PC.
Unlike the other mobile marketing methods we’ve looked at before in this series mobile advertising can be implemented very quickly and, done well, drive traffic immediately.
Drive traffic, but to what?
You probably have more options than on normal internet marketing campaigns.
Here’s a list of possibilities. You can “click to”:
- Call – great idea for a local business
- App Store – for a free download of your local app
- browser landing page – the wine page with all your content about the particular wine
- browser purchase page – a wine page with a little info but a big Add to Cart button
- browser Opt-In – opt in to your newsletter or wine series
- Map – store location, winery location, wine regions
- Video – promo video, video blog
- In App Pop Up – a store or wine landing page that opens without leaving the app
Along the right hand side of this post is an example of a banner ad in the snooth app that opens up a video in the iPhone native YouTube app.
You can watch their promo reel on YouTube, it’s actually really well done.
What sort of mobile ads are there?
Here’s the various mobile advertising types:
- WiFi advertising
- WiFi ad injection
- SMS (and MMS)
- Social network ads
- Mobile banner ad on web browsers
- Inside mobile app (often in games)
Firstly MMS ads just haven’t seemed to have taken hold – so let’s just ignore picture messaging.
SMS on the other hand is an established form of advertising. It is usually
- send a text code to a shortcode number
- to opt-in to receiving an offer or information